Friday, January 28, 2011

Pizza Calzones

Photo credit
So, my first post has to be attributed to one of my new, AMAZING finds! This recipe comes from allrecipes.com, titled, "Real Italian Calzones". We LOVED it! Just FYI- This recipe reflects some changes I made. Oh and just so you know, I'm planning on taking my own pictures, but since I didn't have one of this recipe...I just used some that looked the closest to what I made.


Yield: 4 medium sized Calzones.


1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 TB olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour


To make dough, proof yeast, then add oil & salt. Mix in 1 c. flour till smooth. Gradually add in rest of flour. Knead for 5 mins. Lay dough in bowl containing 1 tsp olive oil, flip dough, cover, & let rise for 40 mins or until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. When dough is ready, punch it down and separate into 4 equal parts. Roll out into thin circles on lightly floured surface. Fill calzone dough with desired filling by using just 1/2 of the circle and folding over. Secure edges by pressing a fork down. 

Like so-


Photo credit

Then- brush the top LIGHTLY with olive oil or egg white (whichever you prefer), and place on cookie sheet(lightly greased) or cooking stone(my personal preference). Make sure to stick a fork in the top- it tends to help it not explode.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 mins- cookie sheet or 20 mins- cooking stone. serve hot.


Filling- Tyson is obsessed with Hawaiian pizza, so that is what I did for the filling when I made it. I added lots of cheese, pineapple, and ham. I think it's better to have pizza sauce on the side for dipping. I definitely prefer the dipping to a soggy calzone!

No comments:

Post a Comment